BEAVER FALLS, Pa. - The women's tennis team was defeated 8-1 this evening in their last match of the year on the road against non-conference opponent Geneva College at the Blackhawk Tennis courts in Beaver. In the first year under Head Coach Stephanie Smith, the Redhawks finish the regular season with a 3-8 record (AMCC: 2-6). Last season, the Redhawks finished 4-7 (AMCC: 3-5). La Roche's three wins this year were against Penn St. Behrend, Juniata and Pitt Greensburg. The latter two were home matches at the Lakevue Athletic Club in Valencia, PA. The Redhawks will miss the AMCC playoffs this year by one spot (Top-6 qualify, La Roche finished 7th out of 9 teams).
Final: La Roche: 1, Geneva: 8,
Records: La Roche (3-8, AMCC: 2-6), Geneva (5-4, conf: 3-3)
- Junior Rochelle Selzer picked up the only win for the Redhawks tonight at first singles in two sets 6-2, 6-0. Selzer finishes the regular season with a 3-6 record at first singles and 4-6 overall.
- Freshman Alexandra Jaksec was defeated tonight in a close match 6-2, 6-3 to finish the regular season 6-3 at second singles and 6-4 overall.
- Junior Alexandra Mroczkowski's win-streak came to an end tonight in fourth singles in a competitive two sets, 6-4, 6-4. Allie finishes the season 4-1 at fourth singles, currently 2nd in the AMCC. In 2018, Mroczkowski earned a spot on the conference team at sixth singles with a 7-2 record. She finished that season on a five game win-streak.
- Junior Jazmyn Davis lost tonight in two sets 6-1, 6-0. Davis finishes this season 3-3 at third singles and 2-3 at fourth singles. After coach Smith bumped Davis to third singles and Allie to fourth, the two have had a combined singles record of 7-3.
- At second doubles, Davis and Mroczkowski were defeated 8-2. Even though the duo lost four of their first five matches this season, they were able to turn things around and win four of their last six.
Since the Redhawks do not have any seniors on their current roster, they will be able to retain their core heading into 2020. Mroczkowski, Selzer & Davis will all be heading into their final season next year. Davis and Selzer have been on the La Roche women's tennis team since their Freshman year and Allie joined as a Sophomore. Freshman Alexandra Jaksec will also be re-joining the team next year after having an impressive debut season. Jaksec finished 2019 with a 6-3 record at second singles (4th in the AMCC) and 6-5 record at first doubles with Selzer (4th in the AMCC).
Conference honors will be announced later on this week.