UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Oh. - La Roche women's basketball was defeated tonight in game one of the John Carroll University Tournament by non-conference opponent Capital University, 70-48.
Final: La Roche: 48, Capital: 70
Records: La Roche (0-2), Capital (1-1)
- The Crusaders started the game on a 6-2 run and never looked back; they would finish the first quarter up 14-7
- The second quarter was a similar story for the Redhawks; Capital outscored LRU 19-8 in the second to go into the half up 33-15
- In the third quarter, LRU kept the game more competitive, but were still outscored 12-17; Senior forward Jenna Cole (North Huntington, PA/Norwin) and Junior guard Shaundrea Butler (Cleveland, OH/Twinsburg) each scored 5 points in the third
- The Redhawks managed to outscore the Crusaders in the fourth 21-20 behind Freshman forward Dashá Jackson (Ambridge, PA/Ambridge) led LRU with 5 points in the quarter
Inside the Box Score
- Cole was the leading scorer for La Roche finishing with 11 points shooting 3-9 from the field and 4-4 from the free throw line; She has scored in double-digit figures in both games this season (12 points vs. W&J)
- Junior guard Ayanna Mazyck (Philadelphia, PA/Harford CC) finished with 9 points, 5 rebounds (team-high) and 5 steals (team-high)
- As a unit, LRU shot 19 times from 3-PT range making four of those shots (21%)
- The Crusaders shot an impressive 50% from the field (26-52); The Redhawks shot 34% from the field, taking the exact same number of shots as CU (18-52)
- LRU committed 24 personal fouls enabling Capital to shoot 15-19 from the FT line (79%)
NEXT UP: The Redhawks play their second and final game of the JCU Tournament tomorrow, Saturday Nov. 16, against the hosting Blue Streaks beginning at 3:00 p.m.