WASHINGTON, Pa. - The La Roche women's basketball team was defeated in their season opener Tuesday evening at Washington & Jefferson College, 61-57.
Final Score: La Roche: 57, W&J: 61
Records: La Roche (0-1), W&J (1-0)
- La Roche jumped out to a 14-8 lead after the first quarter behind two, 3-point field goals
- The Redhawks held their six point lead heading into the half up 31-25
- The Presidents brought the game within two points after outscoring La Roche 17-13 to in the third quarter
- In the fourth quarter, the Presidents shifted the momentum outscoring the Redhawks 19-13 to win the game
- La Roche held the lead through the first three quarters
Inside the Box Score
- Junior guard Shaundrea Butler (Cleveland, OH/Twinsburg) scored a team-high 17 points shooting 5-7 from the field and the free throw line
- Junior guard Danajah Sanders (Cleveland, OH/Brush) and Senior forward Jenna Cole (North Huntington, PA/Norwin) also scored in double-digit figures for La Roche. Sanders: 15, Cole: 12
- Junior guard Ayanna Mazyck (Philadelphia, PA/Mastery North) recorded a team-high 11 rebounds and 4 assists
- Washington & Jefferson's Alie Seto recorded a game-high 22 points and 20 rebounds
- The Redhawks were 6-13 (46.2%) from the FT line
- La Roche led by as many as 13 points in the game
La Roche will compete at the John Carroll Tournament this Friday (11/15) and Saturday (11/16). Their first game will be Friday at 6:00 p.m. against Capital University.