PITTSBURGH, PA - The Redhawks won their third conference game of the season this afternoon by a final score of 1-0 at home against the Penn St. Altoona Lions. The lone goal of the match came in the 16th minute of the first half when Senior midfielder Firas Abduljawad stole the ball off an Altoona inbound, dribbled it to the top of the penalty box, and snuck a shot past the goalkeeper into the bottom right corner of the net. Firas leads the team in goals this season with seven (T-6th in the AMCC). With two games remaining on the regular season schedule, the men find themselves only a half game out of playoff contention behind #6 seed D'Youville (7-8, AMCC: 3-4).
Final: La Roche: 1, Penn St. Altoona: 0
Records: La Roche (5-11, AMCC: 3-5), Penn St. Altoona (5-12-1, AMCC: 3-6)
- La Roche out-shot Altoona 16-9 (4-2 in shots on goal).
- Today's win is the second straight against the Lions. The Redhawks defeated Altoona on this date in 2018 by a score of 4-1 at the Baierl Athletic Complex.
- Firas recorded a team-high 5 shots (2 on goal)
- Senior goalkeeper Austin Gorman recorded the 9th shutout of his career and the third this season, making two saves in today's match. He is only one shutout away from tying the most career shutout's in La Roche program history.
- The two shots on goal by Altoona are the fewest the Redhawks defenders have allowed in a single game this season.
NEXT UP: This Saturday, October 26th, men's soccer plays their final home game of the season against Pitt Bradford beginning at 1:00 p.m. La Roche's nine seniors will be recognized as a part of "Senior Day" after the game.